Teams rewarded by Michelin for tire efficiency
Michelin has recognized six IMSA teams who achieved the highest efficiency of their tire resources during the 2022 season. This marked the first year of the Michelin Efficient Performance Award.
“This award is an important step in continuing our pursuit of sustainability in motorsports,” said Jason Anzalone, director of motorsports, Michelin North America. “We congratulate these teams for getting the most performance out of their MICHELIN® tires, and celebrate their resourcefulness.”
Teams across DPi, LMP2, GTD PRO, GTD, LMP3 and Prototype Challenge were recognized for their efficient tire use. Here are the winners in 2022.
- DPi: Meyer Shank Racing Acura
- LMP2: Tower Motorsports
- LMP3: Performance Tech Motorsports
- GTD PRO: Vasser Sullivan Lexus
- GTD: Team Korthoff Motorsports Mercedes-AMG
- Prototype Challenge: JDC MotorSports
Each full season winner receives a $10,000 tire credit. Below were the eligibility details:
- Awarded based on the total laps completed and the number of Michelin slick tires used in championship points awarded races
- Calculation of tires used will be only for Michelin slick tires based on RFID data captured during the race.
- Complete 80% or more of the Race laps at time of calculation (mid-year and end of season)
- Ties decided by highest place in Team Points standing
Meyer Shank Racing and Tower Motorsports were also IMSA season champions in 2022. Michelin looks forward to working with more teams on sustainability efforts in 2023. This includes a uniquely developed tire in the new GTP class where an emphasis will be made on double stinting to reduce tire usage.
Log in to comment the article